She sat under the Banyan tree, munched the corn and mulled over her decision.
The world in front of her was bustling with people. She could see her Business Development Manager in a heated argument with someone near the smoking area. Then her project leader was almost running to the next building perhaps to attend a meeting that probably started five minutes ago.
Her flame Vikas was seen talking on the cell phone to probably his flame – Rita, an Ex-employee of the organization.
She worked through the corn. She had a deliverable to be sent to onsite that evening. That hardly concerned her. She knew when to shut off her mind to such thoughts.
Arthur entered the scene. "Hi" He startled her. She sprang to her feet and couldn't believe her eyes.
"Arthur? But I thought you…" Arthur cut her short – "That is correct. I just returned to guide you. St Peters has a soft corner for me you know!"
"I can't believe this is happening" She was almost out of her breath. Arthur smiled and suggested they could debate on the reality or lack there of of the current situation – comfortably seated under the Banyan tree – It was not very convenient for the him and for her also to stare at each other while standing near a very comfortable bench.
"You mean you could come back just like that?" She was still not able to accept that Arthur was in front of her – apparently in flesh and blood.
Arthur sighed, "Let us not venture into that. You'll only be opening a can of worms. Let us just assume that Arthur is here as he really is and get on with your burning problem."
She silently nodded, "Arthur, you know I have read" – He impatiently coughed, "I know you read all my works umpteen times. Now what is it that you want?"
"I want to write a novel." She declared with a quivering voice. "I want to write something on the software industry. A big book of 500 pages. And I want it to be as interesting as your Airport or Overload."
Arthur smiled, "That's a great start. Intent is the most important aspect of writing a novel. You've nailed down the subject too."
"Yes," She said, "But what do I write?"
"That's a million dollar question. Isn't it?"
She shook her head, "I don't even know who my hero is"
Arthur smiled, "Why do you want to single out a character as a hero? Why not talk about a group of important people?"
She did not reply. She weighed her options.
Arthur sighed, "OK, let us just start with the character profiles. Shall we? Talk about one of the characters of your novel – Develop that character's personality methodically and see if he or she is a potential hero."
"I want my characters to be real - so real that they can't be heroes. Like me for instance." she said.
Arthur smiled again. "Maybe you are a character in my novel."
It was her turn to smile. "But I know I am not."
"How?"
"Because I feel myself. I can't be a character of a book. I have a soul. I have a sense of being" she could not understand where all this was leading to.
Arthur took a paper and wrote a sentence. "Monalisa Kumari is disgusted that she is a human being."
"Now tell me, is Monalisa a real human being?" he asked her.
She stared at him
"She is disgusted. She knows that she is a human being. Is she real? or is she just a part of the sentence I've just written?" Arthur pressed.
She looked at him disbelievingly. "But I am real."
"That's what you think. People who are reading this don't think so. For them you are just a character. Character in the story - Reality Bytes."
She blinked, "You mean someone is actually writing me?"
Arthur nodded. "That's a distinct possibility."
She took her bag and stood up. "I'd better be going. This is crazy."
He didn't move. "How else can you explain my being here and talking to you?"
It then hit her - the realization that she had taken Arthur's presence for granted. She had actually believed that she was talking to Arthur. She knew Arthur could not have been talking to her. She realized there was a fundamental gap in her perception of the reality.
"You mean I am just a figment of someone's imagination?" She was about to break down.
Arthur held her hand. "I think so. If I am in India talking to a software engineer under a banyan tree instead of sleeping peacefully in my grave, something is definitely fishy. And I suspect someone called Venu Vedam."
That gave her a jolt. "Wait. I know this guy."
"How?"
"He is my project manager!"
Arthur laughed - "Now you know whom to kill."
She saluted Arthur - "Doesn't matter. I had a chance of meeting you - I don't care whether it is someone else's imagination or real. Probably I will return the favor to Venu by going back to my cubicle and completing the task he has assigned to me - on time!"
The End.

1 comment:
wow!
I wonder if i am real, or someone's writing about me. I hope there are no surprises!
Post a Comment