Labels

About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Just an insignificant addition to the world's population.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

“Happy Birthday Weirdo” She gives me a rose.

I nod and mumble a feeble Thank You.

“Are you alright?” she asks me.

I nod again. Yes I am alright. Never been better.

But she doesn’t let it go. She asks me again, “Don’t bluff. What’s eating you?”

I remain silent. As a matter of fact, there’s nothing eating me.

“You are never this silent Nirmal. Share with me, please?”

I sigh. Nitya is impossible sometimes. You can probably get rid of an Amway agent but you can’t shrug off Nitya if she is determined.

“Nothing much,” I say, “You know, I’ve completed 29 years. 30th year has entered my life. With it, the so-called middle age. It’s a bit odd that I have reached the last twenty so soon. I don’t want to leave the twenties. I want to be twenty something always.”

Nitya looks straight into my eyes. “You know what Nirmal? When you say all those things, you look like a cute adorable kid to me… and those hazel eyes of yours – I could just drown in them!”

I suppress a sense of pride. My hazel eyes have indeed been relished by many a young girl.

Nitya is staring at them making me uncomfortable. “What are you doing Nitya?” I ask her.

“Just reading your eyes,” She replies.

I smile. “But I have other things to do.”

Nitya shakes her head. “This is much better than thinking about your last twenty.”

Blushed, I return to the laptop.

“Nirmal, you know what? Middle age doesn’t start until you are thirty five. You have five more years.”

I nod.

“That is your mental age I am talking about not your physical age.”

I nod again.

“Unlike physical age, mental age is something you can control.”

“Really? Tell me about it” I close my laptop and turn to her. “I thought there are a hundred thousand external factors that influence the mental age of a person.”

She waves her hand, “that INFLUENCE the mental age of a person. What if you don’t let your mental age to be influenced?”

“Shut it off?” I ask her.

“Yeah! Just detach it from the external world.”

“And?”

“And what? You’ll remain a young man forever” Nitya is excited.

I look out from the window. The sun is warm. There is a gentle breeze.

“Perhaps we should continue this conversation on a cold rainy day. It’s a beautiful day outside. We should hit the road.” I suggest.

“That sounds reasonable” She agrees.

So we hit the road. I forget my entering the thirties.

Life goes on.

2 comments:

Kumari said...

:)Life goes on.
So does your way of making me look fwd to another chapter in Nirmal's life...

Kumari said...

You changed your blog title too?
But you know what? They are as idiotic as i am the next heir to All of England :)