I have a strange problem. I cannot watch a movie if I miss the start - even if it is just the display of the censor board certificate.
Therefore, I leave two hours in advance - to factor in the unbelievable traffic snarls of Hyderabad. However, as luck would have it, I do not actually run into any such jams and end up at the movie hall one-hour early feeling like a complete dufus.
The movie starts promptly at 7:30pm.
Before I go any further, let me state this: Rajni Kanth does not have much of a role in this movie. So if you are thinking that this is a Rajni paDam, wake up and smell the decaf! The hero of this movie is Pasupathy. Rajni only has an extended guest role.
The first hour is incredible. The titles are imaginatively shot. Pasupathy gives a stellar performance as a poor but upright barber in this fictitious town. You see only the barber and not Pasupathy. Kudos to him. He should win a national award for this performance.
The movie starts its downslide the moment Rajni Kanth enters the scene.
Did I just say that? Did I say that Rajni heralded a downslide? Never thought I'd live the day to tell you this but let truth be spoken. Rajni the superstar is the main reason why this movie will not be seen in the theatres after three weeks.
Where do I begin? Just to cater to the larger than life image of Rajni, a beautiful little story has been tweaked, raped, defeated - all in the name of "Commercialization". There are sequences that are meant to provide comic relief to the audience but they end up being crass. I have no idea how the movie managed a "U" rating but some of these "funny" scenes are downright X rated. Take my advice: Do not take your kids to this movie.
Vadivelu, I believe, is still a force to reckon with in the Tamil industry. Here he seems as if he is long past his sell-by date. It is excruciatingly painful to sit through his assault on our intellect in the guise of "humor".
But wait! The desert does have its oases. Now and then, you are transported back to what the movie is actually about - the barber. These nice little sojourns to the main theme provide you with the much needed relief and equip you with enough firepower to withstand the idiotic sequences coming next.
The so-called "moving" climax falls absolutely flat - Thomas Freidman would vouch for the flatness of this debacle. I never thought I would say this but Rajni's histrionics in the climax are painfully artificial. He delivers a speech and in the middle, he breaks down. Instead of pumping up the emotions, he successfully manages to send the audience bursting into laughter. You see Rajni Kanth there, "acting"... You do not see Ashok Kumar (the character he is playing) breaking down.
On second thoughts, I do not think it is acting at all. It is more like hamming.
And then, the actual showdown - the moment of truth - the coming together of the titans - the emotional clash of them - the disbelief in the audience - the tempting rage to pull your hair and run out like a rat set free from the cage... Alas! I am running out of adjectives and words. You have to see this movie to understand what the feeling is all about.
Here is a golden rule that the makers seem to have forgotten. There are no "art" movies and "commercial" movies. There are "Good" movies and "bad" movies. The good ones entertain people and keep them riveted to the seat. The bad ones too entertain people - in a clownish way.
Kuselan is one such clown. No offence to the original Kuchelan!
Pasupathy's brilliant portrayal is rendered useless by the insane script.
Stay clear. Skip the DVD.
My rating: 1 out of 5.
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Nice review. It has flopped badly and I read that Rajni is returning 10 crores to distributors!
You missed the title of this post.
Post a Comment